Ophthalmologist is a medical or osteopathic doctor who specializes in eye and vision care. They diagnose and treat a wide range of conditions than optometrists and opticians.
An ophthalmologist diagnoses and treats all Eye Diseases, performs Eye Surgery and prescribes and fits Eyeglasses and Contact Lenses to correct vision problems. Many ophthalmologists are also involved in scientific research on the causes and cures for eye diseases and vision disorders. Because they are medical doctors, ophthalmologists can sometimes Recognize other health problems that aren’t directly related to the eye, and refer those patients to the right medical doctors for treatment.
Some of the Ophthalmology treatments:
- Refractive (LASIK) and cataract surgery
- Cornea and external eye diseases
- Retina and vitreous
- Oculoplastic and orbital surgery
- Ophthalmic oncology (cancer care)
- Ophthalmic pathology (advanced diagnostics)
- Pediatric ophthalmology and adult strabismus
- Uveitis and ocular immunologic disease.