Orthopedic surgeons work with the musculoskeletal system, which includes bones, joints, muscles, tendons and ligaments. They perform surgery to address trauma, tumors, injuries, infections and other conditions requiring surgical intervention.
You should visit an orthopedic specialist if you have:
- Muscle, joint, or bone pain that began after an injury or accident
- A torn or ruptured tendon
- Instability or dislocation
- Hip or knee pain that is has been progressing
- Pain in your hip or knee that is worse during weight bearing activities
- Arthritis in your hip, knee, or elbow
- A diagnosis of osteoarthritis
- Neck or back pain
- Radiating arm or leg pain (“pinched nerve”)
You when you need joint replacement surgery or other surgery on your bones, joints, muscles, or tendons.